Monday, January 23, 2012

Farewell - check.

A few things concerning my farewell:

1. I never realized how much work farewells are. Me, my mom, and my dad are seriously exhausted. I love my parents so much for doing that for me, though! My mom went the extra mile to make the most delicious food ever (Hello rootbeer and strawberry lemonade cupcakes, you are now my new best friends!), and I totally adore her for that.

2. I never realized how truly wonderful they are, either. It seriously was so overwhelming to see so many people there to support me. I don't think my house has ever had that many people in it (200! Yeah. Yowza.) I was so nervous that people weren't going to come cause A) it was snowing, B) during my Provo ward's church meetings and C) far away for some people to drive. But we had the most well attended sacrament meeting since 2007, all other farewells included. I got so emotional sitting on the stands watching more and more people sneak in the back. I feel so lucky to have people in my life who I care for so much and love me enough to support me as I start a somewhat terrifying adventure.

3. I'm grateful for my topic! Personal revelation and testimony. It was the hugest blessing to prepare for that talk because it is so important for me to remember that Heavenly Father is totally ready to lead and guide me, I just need to be prepared to feel His promptings. And it was great to be reminded that testimonies are built through small and simple things, not necessarily marvelous or miraculous events. I loved this quote by President Joseph F. Smith because it so eloquently describes how we should yearn to strengthen our testimonies.
“As a boy I would frequently ask the Lord to show me some marvelous thing, in order that I might receive a testimony. But the Lord withheld marvels from me, and showed me the truth, line upon line, until He made me to know the truth from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, and until doubt and fear had been absolutely purged from me. He did not have to send an angel from the heavens to do this, nor did He have to speak with the trump of an archangel. By the whisperings of the still small voice of the spirit of the living God, He gave to me the testimony I possess. And by this principle and power He will give to all the children of men a knowledge of the truth that will stay with them, and it will make them to know the truth, as God knows it, and to do the will of the Father as Christ does it. And no amount of marvelous manifestations will ever accomplish this.”

I'm so excited to spend the next 18 months fully dedicated to doing the will of my Heavenly Father as my Savior Jesus Christ did!

It was a good day. Thanks for everyone who came!




No comments:

Post a Comment